Soreness, pain in the abdomen after surgery is normal. Pain will be worse with movement, changing positions from laying to seated to standing.
Most of our patients take only tylenol and ibuprofen for pain management after surgery. Applying ice to the surgery site for 20 min at a time can also be helpful.
We recommend taking the following every 6 hours for the first few days after surgery as needed:
- 650mg to 1g of acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- 400mg to 600mg of ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin)
If you are experiencing significant pain that is preventing you from going on a walk or falling asleep, please call the office for a prescription for oxycodone. This medication will cause constipation, so we recommend the following:
- Fiber supplement (Citrucel or Benefiber)
- Stool softener (Colace, Senakot)
- Laxative only if unable to have a bowel movement for a few days (Milk of Magnesia)